Skip to main content

Journo Heros


Christiane Amanpour is the child of an English mother and an Iranian father. She was born in London, England but grew up in Tehran, Iran. Her desire to become a journalist began when a revolution broke out in Iran and her family went into exile. She received her college education at the University of Rhode Island and studied journalism. After college she remained in Rhode Island and started working as a radio reporter and producer for WBRU.


Christiane Amanpour – Harrington School of Communication and Media

In 1983 she became an international reporter for CNN. In 1985, she reported form her home nation in Iran and this was where she begun to be recognized. At this time, she also won the Dupont Award. Her international recognition sparked when she reported the Bosnian crisis. During this crisis, she reported about the difficult life for the people living in the area and uncovered the harshness of the war. She has also reported news from places like Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Somalia, Israel, Asia, and Rwanda.  

As an international reporter Christiane Amanpour has had the honor of interviewing top world leaders such as Hosni Mubarak Egypt’s president, the British prime minister Tony Blair, and Hamid Karzai president of Afghanistan. This was such an amazing experience for her because she could discuss the issues of their country upfront which would help inform citizens of what was to come and how their government was working to resolve their issues. It also benefitted her as a journalist because she could focus on getting factual information and reporting on it. Its one thing to go to a country and observe the issues they are facing and it is another thing to discuss it with leaders who have to deal with it each day. She also covered crisis of natural disasters such as the earthquake in Haiti, the tsunami in Japan, and the Hurricane Katrina.

As a journalist, she campaigns for active rights which means she advocates for journalists’ rights and raises awareness of key global issues. For example, she raised awareness for the Nigerian schoolgirls who were abducted by Boko Haram on the BBC television and asked the British Prime Minister David Cameron to play an active role in the campaign #BringBackOurGirls. This shows how she is a journalist with the intention of making a difference and not just exposing corrupt government or tragic events. I believe this makes her standout because not only does report news but raises awareness about news so that people in the necessary leadership positions can take action.


Michelle Obama joins #BringBackOurGirls campaign to free Nigerian ...

Christiane is a well-respected journalist and currently works as a global affairs anchor for ABC news and provides international analysis of important issues. She has won several awards for her outstanding work as an international journalist.  





Comments

  1. What an awesome choice! Christiane Amanpour was literally one of MY heroes during my 20-year career in journalism. Because I was always interested in foreign affairs, I was shocked and dismayed in the 1990s when all the major news outlets started closing their foreign bureaus as a cost-cutting measure. There was a time when I felt like Christian Amanpour was literally the only person I could count on to keep me informed. She is brilliant, she is a great reporter, and she is always fair. I'm glad you got to know more about her through your research.

    Your whole blog looks good and complete. I appreciate your dedication!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

News Sources

I typically get my news from Facebook, CNN, Instagram, Youtube, and Google. These news sources are easy for me to access. Since I hardly watch TV, these sites are readily available on my phone to look at. Most of my news comes from YouTube because I am always on there listening to music. As I listen to music, news stories will randomly pop up on my phone and depending on how interesting or relevant it may be I will tune in to listen to the news updates. Facebook and Instagram are good sources as well because whenever I get on social media, I am guaranteed that someone will share news that has been going viral and it is interesting to read the story and the comments that people will make. When I go home, my dad is always watching CNN so I will get news updates from there. I also have the CNN news app on my phone so everyday I get news alerts. Also, since google is the search engine that I normally use, it is easy for me to always see news stories that are currently trending. All of

Coronavirus Affecting Apple company?

For the past several weeks now, we have heard about the coronavirus outbreak that started in China. About more than 2000 people have died from this virus and there are about 75000 people who have been affected, mostly in China. For this matter, many jobs in China have been closed. This means normal work life has been affected and consumer consumption has gone down. Apple, the iPhone company, is also being affected because they have seen a decline in iPhone sales. Apple had to temporarily close their manufacturing site to ensure that the health and well being of their employees are taken care of. Thankfully, all iPhone manufacturing site have been opened in China but they are still experiencing supply "shortage of the phone globally." This also means Apple will not be meeting their revenue guideline for the March quarter. It's interesting to know that a disease outbreak in a country has the ability to affect the the economy of a national company. This helps me to under